Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Web Posted Oct 7 2003 12:36 PM MDT

Chief not running for mayor
Edmonton - Police Chief Bob Wasylyshen has decided not to run for mayor, he announced in a news release Tuesday.



I can't say that this bit of news fills me with dismay, although it does surprise me a little bit. I've got a number of problems with with Bob Wasylyshen, beginning with the fact that he doesn't seem to really like Edmontonians very much. He has consistently resisted attempts to make the police department more accountable, in particular opposing the creation of an independent advisory group to handle complains against the force. During his tenure as chief, the police have become less friendly to deal with, adopting a far more confrontational attitude to the public. The attitude was summed up excellently by a cop I heard expressing disappointment that "there are people out here who have no fear of the police." Well, yes, I thought that was the point of being a law-abiding Canadian - you didn't have to be afraid of the police. To top it all off, I don't actually think I'm any safer in this city. Anyway, he might have turned out to be an excellent mayoral candidate, but the omens arent' good.

No comments: