Thursday, July 31, 2003

Gosh, a full week since I last put anything up here. In the meantime I have had reinforced why I like to deal with little tiny self-distributing publishing companies as opposed to the monsters. For one thing, the little guys always talk to you like you're people, perhaps because they're not on the phone 24-7. For another, since they're small publishing companies, they actually have a stake in dealing with your complaints, and tend to do so promptly. I remember once phoning a little company in Calgary that publishes a couple of cookbooks. We'd ordered 10 of each, and received 20 of one of the titles. This was not a big deal, and as a matter of fact I was merely phoning to let them know that we'd keep the 20 but wanted to order 10 of the other book. Anyway, the lady I got on the phone (who was probably the publisher, author, and cook) was mortified that she had made that mistake. I had to reassure her a number of times that we weren't angry about it, and that we were still quite happy to carry her books. You don't get that when you phone up Megabooks inc., to deal with a fucked up order. Anyway, the incident with the cookbooks was several years ago, but the company that I dealt with this week, that prompted this little spiel, was the very lovely Gaspereau Books, of Kentville, Nova Scotia. Kudos to them.

No comments: