Thursday, July 17, 2003

Crisitunity Knocks!!!

So the head coach of the womens' soccer team form which I am the goalkeeper coach has been canned. Now, there is some tradition that when such a thing happens the assistant coach walks the plank as well, and I believe that the ex-head coach, also a good friend of mine, expects me do just that. However, I'm a bit reluctant to do that. For one thing, in a phone call yesterday, the team's keeper asked me to continue working with her. For another, the firing had absolutely nothing to do with the team's performance (although they're not having a banner year), but with the coach's attitude and language towards some of the players. So what, you say. Well, if I do say so myself, the problems that got the coach fired are not ones that I have ever had with a team, whether playing or coaching, and I don't feel good about losing my position because of such problems, even by proxy. And lastly, I'm having a good time and actually (again, if I may blow my own horn) doing a lot of good for the team's goalie. So I'm mulling over in my mind how to go about this... More bulletins as events warrant.

No comments: