Saturday, April 26, 2003

Well, it's Saturday morning, I'm at work, it's trying to snow, and Millwall drew at Forest today. Those last three have left me, respectively, annoyed, resigned (this is Edmonton in April, after all), and pleased. I'd be more pleased had the 'Wall actually won, but I'll take a point on the road against a promotion candidate any day.

About a year ago I picked up The Distillers' second album Sing Sing Death House, listened to it maybe twice, and set it aside with a feeling of vague disappointment. Well, I don't know, perhaps it did the fine-wine thing, because I brought the CD into work on a whim the other day, and was blown away. Pretty much from start to finish, the album is fast, snarly, and intense, and the title track is one of the best new punk songs I've heard in a long while. Other high points include The Young Crazed Peeling, a trippy little autobiographical number, and Bullet & the Bullseye, which is basically a 70-second scream of rage. However, the entire album is just plain strong, and has sent me back to my CD rack to see what else I haven't been listening to for the past few months.

No comments: