Saturday, April 26, 2003

TAMPERE, Finland (AP) - Denmark pulled off one of the biggest upsets in the history of the world hockey championships on Saturday, stunning the United States 5-2 in the opening game.

Denmark, a small Scandinavian country with only about 4,000 hockey players, is making its return to hockey's elite after a 54-year absence.

In the 1949 tournament in Stockholm, Denmark lost one game to Canada 47-0, still a record in championship history.


Ok, I remembered about the 47-0 thing - that featured prominently as a hockey trivia question in my youth. However, I did not realize that that was the last time the Danes had been to the championship (I also did not realize, until I did some poking around, that that loss to Canada was the first game ever for the Danish national team). Anyway, a hearty 'well done' to the Danes today.

No comments: